Today marked the beginning of this year’s World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), which is typically where Apple unveils new software and products. In years past, they have unveiled more new software than products. However, today was a different story.
- iOS 11:
- A new filing system called “Apple File System.”
- iMessage now has a grid of icons to see and use your Stickers in a more efficient way.
- New Siri voices
- Pay your friends via Apple Pay in iMessage
- iPad gets a dock and new interface
- Redesigned Control Center
- Being able to record your screen
- Redesigned App Store app
- New iTunes icon
- Will be called macOS High Sierra
- Runs Apple File System (same as iOS 11)
- Metal 2
- When using Mail in full screen, you can have your inbox and composed email as two windows on the same screen.
- watchOS 4
- New Siri Complication
- New Toy Story themed watch faces
- Kaleidoscope watch face is added
- Apple Music app redesign
- Access flashlight right from the Apple Watch that will beam from your iPhone
- Upgraded MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro
- Can be ordered today
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- Will begin shipping next week
- Updated iMacs
- 21-inch can get up to 32GB of RAM
- 27-inch can get up to 64GB of RAM
- iMac Pro
- Will be released in late-2017
- Available in Space Gray
- Apple’s first Sonos-like speaker
Overall, the keynote lived up to the expectations of the audience. Apple showed the world that they do still care about their pro users and made sure of that by announcing new products such as the updated MacBook Pros, iMacs, and the new iMac Pro. It was not a perfect event by any means, but it will certainly be something people will be talking about for the rest of the summer.